Monday, June 25, 2012

What does your business card say about you?

Do your cards accurately describe you and your business?  Does the contact information make sense for the business you are in?

I recently met someone at a business meetup, I was intrigued when I found out he was a consultant on internet marketing.  Within minutes of discussion, I could tell he was knowledgeable on his business niche.  However, I encountered a problem when he handed me his card.  At that moment my very positive first impression shifted slightly negative.


business-card-front


The problem was this gentleman claimed to be an expert on internet marketing and SEO.  In addition he claimed to be an expert on web presence management.  The three things that changed my opinion and made me think to myself  'not sure I would hire this guy' were:

  • He had a yahoo email address;
  • He had no website listed on his card;
  • When I Google'd him on my phone I got 0 results.

Remember in today's technologically savvy world, with a smart phone in every pocket, be sure if you claim to be in a certain type of business don't instantly make yourself look foolish.  If you claim to provide a service on your business card make sure if someone checks you out you can back your statements.

If you are in doubt you could handle it the way I did,  I simply put my name and a link to my blog site.  I did this because I was interested in meeting people and wanted to be able to provide contact info when asked.  Although, I am sure I could litter my business card with many things, I chose not to.

Have you ever unintentionally made a claim, that made you feel foolish when someone tried to verify it?  Leave a comment let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment